The Crafting System Episode 15: Fandom Is Not A Monolith
This time, Ness and Eris talk about fan entitlement, false equivalency, and punching down. Ness is really mad, you guys.
Before that, though, they talk about some cool stuff:
- Lou Box Top pattern by Sew DIY.
- The Maria Apron pattern by Maven Patterns available at Indie Sew.
- How to make your own bias tape.
And then to the rage:
- The article that set everything off. And his back-pedalling followup.
- The AV Club article Eris mentions.
- A great piece from Bibliodaze about what that original article is straight-up wrong.
- The two-part episode (part one, part two) Ness mentioned on race from Fansplaining (and also another great episode on breaking the fourth wall in fandom).
- The Jessica Plummer piece on Panels that Ness read from on why Hydra Cap is so harmful.
- A piece in Tablet Magazine by (Ness’ friend) Esther Bergdahl about why Marvel’s move to Hydra Cap is anti-Semitic. (There’s another great piece about why Nazi Cap is the superhero bigoted fans deserve.)
- Gavia Baker-Whitelaw in the Daily Dot talks about the false eqivalency of the backlash against female Ghostbusters and Nazi Cap.
- Zoe Quinn’s take on toxic fandom (something she knows a thing or two about).
- Patrick Weekes’ Rogues of the Republic series (and the Pancake Sex Book Club episode about it). (P.S., Ness is so sorry about the end slate, Mr. Weekes.)