The Crafting System Episode 11: You’re Not My Dad, Alexander Hamilton
Trigger warning: Rape. Ness and Eris briefly discuss the mention of Sally Hemings in “Hamilton.”
In episode 11, Ness and Eris talk about how fraught it can be to recommend something you really love—and the outcome of their grand bargain. (To recap: Ness agreed to play “Undertale” in exchange for Eris listening to “Hamilton” multiple times.) Eris gets serious about her feelings about the mythology surrounding the Founding Fathers—and Ness thinks she may have missed the point: that Hamilton is fanfic.
They also discuss:
- “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up” by Marie Kondo.
- The Font Bandit on Adagio makes some of Ness’ favorite teas. (This Sten one is her favorite comfort tea.)
- Listen, just go buy stuff from Cara. (Eris recommends the Alistair, Cullen, and Merrill teas. Ness likes The Weather and The Sheriff’s Secret Police from the Night Vale collection. Her art is also fantastic. Seriously, just go buy stuff.)
- Amelia’s post on becoming a Hamilbot.
- “The Babadook.”
- The Vash the Stampede “Total Slaughter” song.
- “Alexander Hamilton” by Ron Chernow.
- “Marie Antoinette: The Journey” by Antonia Fraser.
- “Lafayette in the Somewhat United States” by Sarah Vowell.
- The “West Wing” Ham4Ham.
Also the word Ness was looking for was “conflating.” Some white fans of Hamilton are conflating the actual historical figures with the actors who play them, which is not OK.
Reach out to us. Email Ness at firstname.lastname@example.org and Eris at email@example.com.
Follow us on Twitter: @craftingsystem. Follow Eris at @erissaid. Follow Ness at @paperbytheton. You can also check out what we’re doing on our Instagram, @craftingsystem. We’re on iTunes. If you could rate and review us there, that would be awesome. Ness will send you Hamilton gifs if you do.